ENGLISH STORYTELLING IN SCHOOLS AROUND THE WORLD
We are committed to making English language learning a fun and creative experience through the power of storytelling. We travel to schools internationally with our unique English storytelling performance and workshops.
A storytelling and English language learning experience includes
- A one hour storytelling performance of stories, specially adapted for English language learners
- A one hour post performance workshop where language students have fun exploring storytelling in English
We now offer a range of themes for our language learning workshops
- GIANTS – traditional folktales about giants
- Viking Tales – stories from Nordic mythology and Viking ships
- Macbeth – a telling of Shakespeare’s Scottish play made easy for language learners
- Legends of King Arthur – stories from the famous English Legends
“Thank you for a very special and fun opportunity to show and teach our students English at Hvalsø School! I hope you will come back next year!” Marie-Louise Laub Olesen, English Teacher at Hvalsø Skole, Denmark.
We perform our storytelling show and with each performance we offer a creative storytelling workshop designed for children and teenagers who are learning English as a second language.
The performance gives them the opportunity to experience English through a collection of traditional stories. The stories are told in clear simple English, using plenty of repetition and attention to difficult vocabulary so that students enjoy the stories whilst learning the language.
The post performance workshop allows students to put the English they have heard into practice. They’ll learn and practise new vocabulary, phrases, and idiomatic expressions and develop their speaking and listening skills. The workshop includes a range of lively storytelling activities designed to help children develop their English and have a lot of fun telling stories and creating drama.
By the end of the experience students will have
- learnt a range of new English words and phrases
- gained confidence in speaking and listening to English through storytelling
- learnt to tell a traditional story in English
- practised language of negotiating and team decision making
- had great fun re-creating a traditional story in English with their classmates
In January 2018 we launched GIANTS English Language Project at Hvalsø Skole in Denmark. We now visit Hvalsø Skole every year to perform and deliver workshops.
In May 2018 and 2019 we took the project to Tenerife, Spain.
In March 2019 GIANTS brought workshops to the students at Oriago Steiner School near Venice in Italy. Here are some pictures that the sixth grade students made after the workshop.
We visit countries all over the world with GIANTS English Language Project, and we also work with language learners in Scotland and the wider UK.